Inspired by Yupie Love and A Bourbon for Silvia. Here’s my version of what you should consider before deciding whether or not to date (or marry) a graphic designer:
- They are probably not very rich.
- There are millions of them out there, and they hate each other.
- They cannot dine in a restaurant without critiquing the menu design.
- They collect posters, menus, albums, and even brochures from the hospital.
- They always look tired, because they work all the time.
- They spend all their money buying Apple products.
- They steal road signs.
- They read vogue and comics.
- They won’t go out with you if you pair a pink top with yellow skirt.
- They replace regular water with beer.
- They worship Mad Men.
- If you go to a movie together, you’ll be the last to leave because they want to read the full list of credits.
- You’ll probably not want to make them a birthday card, or holiday card, or I-wish-I-know-how-to-please-you card.
- Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. And Starbucks only.
- They snark at mediocre logos they find around town or online.
- They would buy weird sh*t just because they like the packaging.
- They would wake up in the middle of the night and go straight to their computer because, “an idea just came up.”
- They do judge a book by its cover.
- You can’t redecorate the house without consulting them first.
- They might own more shoes than you.
- They speak brand names that mean nothing to you.
- They will rant to you how much they disliked Windows 8.
- They tell you the CMYK and RGB of a color you should wear when you ask for an opinion on your dress.
- They steal paint chips from hardware stores.
- They want to be the next 30 under 30, and 40 under 40.
- A Lion means something totally different to them.
- They like musicals and alternative genres of performance, which you may find creepy.
- They have no problem living on ramen noodles while working under a tight deadline.
- All of their deadlines were yesterday.
- Despite their passion for colors, their favorite work/casual outfit is usually a white t-shirt with jeans.
- They will constantly show you their latest project at the dinner table.
- They love museums.
- They love libraries, but only those with insane architectural design.
- They constantly talk about how much they would love to live in New York.
- Don’t ask them about those lens-less glasses. You won’t find a satisfying answer.
- The furniture they pick are probably not very practical/functional.
- They give others deadline, though they can hardly meet one themselves.
- They take photos of strangers. They take photos with strangers.
- They are Steve Jobs groupies, strong-willed macvocates.
- They buy McDonalds Happy Meal because they liked the Minion toys.
- They get all mad when you tell them Arial and Helvetica are basically the same typeface.
- They doodle on napkins while waiting to be served at a restaurant.
- They seems to always ask for a “true” black.
- You’ll hear Christmas tunes in June because they are working on a holiday billboard.
- They never work well with printing services because “they can never get it right.”
- They make artwork out of recyclable things like vinyls and toilet paper rolls.
- They ask for your opinion, but never really follow them.
- You can never tell if that magazine on the coffee table was an original or a mockup.
- They can look at one image/photo for a long, long time, and not say a word.
- Above all, they are really nice (sometimes), sensitive people.
What would you add to the list? Are you currently dating a designer? What has been your experience?
3 thoughts on “50 Things to Consider before You Date (or Marry) a Designer”
So funny….and so true!! 🙂
It sounds like a nice break from (American) football fans.
Marry him or her and I bet you get an over-the-top wedding invite that would blow any other invite out of the water.